Welcome Young Actors Workshop
Students and Families!
The Coastside Young Actors Workshop is an afterschool theater program for kids from K-12th grade. The students create original plays which they perform for the community. Using a technique known as "guided improvisation," the students create and star in original musical productions with imaginative story lines, unique characters, original dialogue, humor and songs. During the Fall session of Young Actors Workshop students scare thousands of land lubbers at the Pumpkin Festival Haunted House. Classes meet after school once per week. Fall session runs September through November. Winter/Spring session runs December through May.
FALL 2018 Class Information
Fall session starts the week of August 27, 2018
(no classes during CUSD school breaks)
- Tuesdays: CUMC "Youth House", 777 Miramontes Street (@ San Benito St), HMB
- 3:30pm-4:30pm (Kinder - 3rd grade)
- 4:35pm-5:35pm (3rd - 5th grade)
- 5:40pm-6:40pm (Teens)
- Wednesdays: Wilkinson School, 750 Ave Alhambra, El Granada
- 3:40pm-4:40pm (all grades)
FALL SEMESTER REGISTRATION DEADLINE AUGUST 20
To sign up for Young Actors Workshop, complete the registration form.
Mail your check to YAW, P.O. Box 2104, El Granada 94018 or use the Paypal link at the bottom of the registration form.
Questions: email firstname.lastname@example.org
Fall Semester 2018 Important Dates for Young Actors Workshop
- August 20 – Registration Deadline
- August 28 & 29 – Classes Begin
- August 29 – Family Potluck and Welcome Back party (HMB)
- Sep 18 & 19 (TBD) – Parent Meeting at Cameron's Pub in Game Room 6:30 PM (attend one of the two sessions)
- Sept 29 & Oct 30 – Set Design and Construction Days 10 AM - 5 PM
- Oct 6 & 7 – Set Design and Construction Day/Staging Area Set-up/Costume Selection/Parent Guide Training 10 AM - 5 PM
- October 13-14 – Pumpkin Festival performance
- Oct 21 & 22 – Set Breakdown/Clean-up 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
- Nov 20 & 21 – No Classes - Thanksgiving Break
- Nov 28 – Last Day of Classes / Improve Night at Cameron's & Community Meeting 6:30 - 8:30 PM
Winter/Spring Semester 2019 Important Dates for Young Actors Workshop
- Dec 1 – Registration Deadline
- Dec 3 & 4 – Classes Begin
- TBD – Parent Meeting at Cameron's Pub in Game Room 6:30 PM (attend one of the two sessions)
- Week of Feb 18 - NO CLASS (Presidents/ Ski week) Show dates: YAW's 26th Original Pay
- April 9 & 10 - Classes continue
- Week of April 15 - NO CLASS (CUSD Spring Break)
- TBD – Set Design and Construction Days 10 AM - 5 PM
- TBD– Set Design and Construction Days, load in sets on stage 10 AM - 5 PM
- TBD – Tech Week - Onstage rehearsals 3:30 - 7:00 PM daily
- TBD – Spring Play
- May 21 & 22 - Last Day of Classes
Young Actors Workshop was founded in 1990 with the objective "to provide a positive environment in which children can develop theater skills and have opportunities for public performance”.
Using improvisional techniques developed in weekly classes, the students showcase their talents in two performances each year: an event at HMB's annual Pumpkin Festival and the Spring show, an original musical developed by the students during their weekly workshops.
Learn more about the history of Young Actors Workshop.
The 2018-2019 Young Actors Workshop Board of Directors:
Guliz des Tombe, President
Cindy Handler, Vice-President
Melinda McNaughton, Secretary
Jennifer Lockhart, Treasurer
Jon Handler, Director-at-Large
Melissa Birdwell-Marchi, Director-at-Large
Kevin North, Artistic Director